blog posts

Global internet outages increase 4%, US disruptions down 4% in mid-January – S&P Global

Thank you for your interest in S&P Global Market Intelligence! We noticed you’ve identified yourself as a student. Through existing partnerships with academic institutions around the globe, it’s likely you already have access to our resources. Please contact your professors, library, or administrative staff to receive your student login.
At this time we are unable to offer free trials or product demonstrations directly to students. If you discover that our solutions are not available to you, we encourage you to advocate at your university for a best-in-class learning experience that will help you long after you’ve completed your degree. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Fill out the form so we can connect you to the right person.
If your company has a current subscription with S&P Global Market Intelligence, you can register as a new user for access to the platform(s) covered by your license at Market Intelligence platform or S&P Capital IQ.
Thank you.
One of our representatives will be in touch soon to help get you started with your demo.
We generated a verification code for you
Global internet outages increase 4%, US disruptions down 4% in mid-January
Volume of Investment Research Reports on Inflation Increased in Q4 2021
Price wars in India: Disney+ Hotstar vs. Amazon Prime Video vs. Netflix
Using ESG Analysis to Support a Sustainable Future
Next in Tech | Episode 48: The everything that is Industrial IoT
This weekly feature from S&P Global Market Intelligence, in collaboration with internet-service monitoring company ThousandEyes, aims to give remote workers insights into internet service disruptions.
Global internet outages nudged up 4% to 257 in the week of Jan. 15, marking the second consecutive weekly increase since the preceding week, according to data from ThousandEyes, a network-monitoring service owned by Cisco Systems Inc.
U.S. outages, meanwhile, dipped 4% to 94 from 98 in the prior week. The current total comprised 36% of all global disruptions, down from 40% in the week of Jan. 8.
SNL Image
ThousandEyes detected two notable interruptions last week.
Fresh from an outage almost two weeks ago, U.S.-based multinational transit provider Cogent Communications Holdings Inc. on Jan. 20 dealt with a series of outages that impacted multiple downstream partners and customers globally. The disruptions, which ran for 40 minutes across a period of one hour and 28 minutes, centered on nodes in Denver; Salt Lake City; Dallas; Phoenix; and Sacramento and Oakland, Calif. The interruption was cleared at about 11:35 p.m. ET.
Three days earlier, on Jan. 17, Hong Kong-based internet service provider PCCW Ltd. experienced an outage affecting some networks and customers in countries including the U.S., Singapore, Thailand and China. The interruption, which apparently centered on nodes in Singapore, lasted 34 minutes before it was cleared at about 9:50 p.m. ET.
Collaboration-app disruptions in the Jan. 21 week increased to nine from six in the prior week. Four such disruptions were observed in the U.S.
Global business-hours outages accounted for 39% of all disruptions in the previous week. The metric in the U.S. surged 17 percentage points week over week to 37%, while in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, business-hours interruptions decreased by 20 percentage points to 19%. Such outages in the Asia-Pacific region increased 22 percentage points to 47% of the worldwide total.
SNL Image

source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.